Foods That Detox
The following is a list of foods that detox the body.
Items listed below are most beneficial when eaten in their least altered states: fresh/raw or lightly steamed. If you have the option, vine-ripened and organically grown are pluses.
- Broccoli Sprouts - look for them at your health food store. They have up to 50 times more cancer-fighting power than the full-grown stalks.
- Cabbage - this incredible vegetable increases the activity of both of the 2 main detoxifying enzymes in the liver. Raw or lightly steamed packs the biggest punch.
- Fiber - any kind is beneficial - (also listed below as psyllium). Fiber expands in the digestive tract absorbing toxins along the way. This is probably one of the most important foods that detox the body.
A great way to get plenty of fiber, is doing something like the
- Fruits - loaded with vitamin C, fiber, fluids and antioxidants, to name a few benefits.
- Garlic - the more, the better! The Italians know what they're doing! You can add it to salads, sauces, juices, take capsules. It activates the liver enzymes that help filter out junk.
- Green Tea - this tea is rich in antioxidants; try to find a naturally decaf version. It contains catechins, which increase liver activity.
- Juices - fresh fruit or vegetable juice keep you hydrated and the fluids moving throughout your system.
- Lemons - lemon juice is perfect for cleansing your system. It's also full of vitamin C, and grabs onto toxins that are then flushed out.
- Psyllium - rich in soluble fiber, like oat bran. It absorbs toxins and cholesterol. You can mix powdered psyllium into juice or sprinkle on food. Or you can have psyllium-fortified breakfast cereals, breads, muffins.
- Sesame seeds - did you know this: They are known for protecting liver cells from the damaging effects of alcohol and other chemicals. Tahini paste is the concentrated form of pureed sesame seeds.
- Vegetables - green, leafy is best. Eat them raw, salads, added to soup broth. Chlorophyll helps flush out environmental toxins such as heavy metals, pollutants and pesticides.
- Water - this is THE ultimate body cleanser. Purified or filtered water is even better. Watch 'vitamin waters' so that they don't contain high-fructose corn syrup or artificial sweeteners. Plain, room-temperature drinking water is best.
- Watercress - this can be added to salads, soups. Has a diuretic effect that detoxifies your system.
Return from Foods That Detox the Body to Answer My Health Question home page.