Advantages of organic food range from health benefits to environmental rewards.
The term 'organic' refers to the way foods are grown and processed.
The organic way of farming maintains and replenishes fertility of the soil so it's not depleted and over-farmed.
Pesticides and toxic fertilizers are not used for organic farming.
70% of all organic food is organic fruits and vegetables; the rest is organic meats and dairy products.
There is the saying, "You are what you eat". Many people wonder, why eat poisons and toxins if you don't have to? Click here for some organic vegan and vegetarian recipes. (Sorry, site no longer available)
Small advantages of eating organic food can become significant health benefits over time.
It doesn't mean becoming over-whelmed and trying to change every single item you consume over to the organic version all at once.
It means making small changes, even one at a time, and eating / buying organic whenever you can.
- A recent $25 million study sponsored by the European Union, confirms the benefits or eating organic food and that it is more nutritious than non-organic food.
The study found that organic fruits and vegetables have up to 50% more antioxidants
, and more vitamins and minerals
, such as iron and zinc.
Antioxidants are known to attack free radicals in our bodies that can lead to cancer and other diseases. They also help combat heart disease.
Other studies have shown that by eating organic foods, people have a stronger immune system, less weight problems, and better sleep.
Pesticide residue has been found in not only produce, but also breads, baby food and even human breast milk.
Not only are there physical benefits to eating organic foods, there are also emotional benefits.
Organic farms are gentler on the environment.
Massive, commercial farms erode the soil, harm or displace wildlife, and deplete nutrients from the ground.
Huge industrial farms have been known for their cruelty to animals.
organic vegetable garden
is a rewarding, earth-friendly process that benefits all life on the planet and provides healthy, delicious and nutritious food for us all.
Advantages of Organic Food
- you're not ingesting deadly pesticides, poisons and herbicides
- keeps pesticides out of streams and ground water
- better tasting, more flavor
- no residual antibiotics or growth hormones in organic meat or milk
- no fillers are used to bulk up foods
- irradiation is used on non-organic foods to kill bacteria and it alters the molecular structure and live properties of the food
- organic food is non-GMO (genetically modified organism)
- pure - no artificial colors, flavors, additives, preservatives, sweeteners
- it is not processed
- supports local farms and farmers, and the local economy
- safer to eat for babies and children
- more healthy - higher
content, more vitamins, minerals, essential fatty acids
- emotional benefits - feeling good about eating something that is pure food, healthy for you, and tastes better than processed food and you are helping the environment
- pesticides in foods have been linked to several diseases: cancer, obesity, alzheimer's, and some birth defects to name a few
The Future of Organic Foods
Since the advantages of organic food are becoming more well known and wide-spread, the demand has increased throughout the world.
Right now organic food vending machines are becoming more and more popular.
The demand for organic goods (not only foods, but clothing, body products, housewares, etc.) has gone up considerably in the recent past.
You can now find an organic version of pretty much everything, from organic fudge to
organic baby formula,
to organic bedding and
organic skin care products.
Return from Advantages of Organic Food to Answer My Health Question home page.